The Mercury’s most significant question mark is their defense. They were 11th in the league in points allowed per game last season, and they will need to improve if they want to contend for a championship. However, with Taurasi, Griner, and Diggins-Smith leading the way, the Mercury has the potential to be the top team in the WNBA.
Here is a closer look at the Mercury’s roster and their strengths and weaknesses:
- Diana Taurasi: One of the greatest players in WNBA history, Taurasi is still playing at an elite level at age 39. She averaged 17.3 points per game last season and is a three-point shooting specialist who can take over games.
- Brittney Griner: A two-time WNBA Defensive Player of the Year, Griner is one of the most dominant centers in the league. She averaged 20.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game during the 2021 season and is a force on both ends of the court.
- Skylar Diggins-Smith: A two-time All-Star, Diggins-Smith is a dynamic scorer and playmaker. She averaged 19.7 points and four assists per game last season and is a key part of the Mercury’s offense. Diggens-Smith gave birth to her second child earlier this year and will not be ready to suit up when the Mercury opens their season.
- Defense: The Mercury was 11th in the league in points allowed per game last season, and they will need to improve if they want to contend for a championship.
- Age: The Mercury has a lot of veteran players, and they must be healthy if they want to make a deep playoff run.
The Mercury can potentially be one of the most explosive teams in the league. However, they must improve their defense to contend for a championship. With Taurasi and Griner leading the way and soon ready to play Diggens-Smith, the Mercury have the scoring punch to beat anyone. Griner missed all of last season with legal issues, but she is a two-time defensive player of the year and will significantly impact both ends of the floor. Health and defense are the two possible roadblocks to a championship, but this is a good team that will play exciting basketball with plenty of Overs in their contests.
Arizona Sports Betting Promotions
The best way to get started betting on the Mercury is to visit our page listing each of the Arizona Sportsbooks operating legally in the Grand Canyon State. On our page review, along with promo codes and links intended to help grow your bankroll.
WNBA Betting Tips
There are plenty of ways to handicap a WNBA game. Here are four steps you can make that will immediately help you see things more clearly when preparing to wager on a WNBA game.
- Consider the home-court advantage. Home teams in the WNBA win more often than away teams. This is because marginal players tend to play better on courts where they are comfortable.
- Pay attention to injuries. Injuries can have a big impact on the outcome of a game. If a key player is injured, adjusting your bets is essential.
- Watch Line Movement: Betting lines move often in the WNBA. Follow the odds, moves, and money, and you’ll be happy you did.
- Manage your money: Managing your bankroll is the secret to making money by betting on sports. Find a system that works for you, and don’t abandon it.